Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Dear Prospective Aqueous Drummers...



Dear Prospective Drummer for Aqueous, 

Let me start by saying this, I probably have NO BUSINESS writing this letter.  But, I recently had to write a piece for NYS Music on how one of my favorite bands is back to looking for a drummer.  And that broke my heart a little bit.  And I have feelings. Some people eat theirs.  I write mine.

I won’t pretend that I’ve been on the Aqueous train for a long time.  I saw them for the first time when they opened for Lotus in the summer of 2013 in Buffalo.  They were instantly on my radar. It wasn’t until this past summer at Buffalove that something finally clicked.  I’ve been obsessed ever since. I actually counted the other day and realized I’ve seen Aqueous live 15 times. I know in the whole “count your shows” jam scene that’s not a big deal.  But for me that’s more than I ever seen any other band live.   

So, I consider myself a fan, sometimes a bit of a fan girl.  But I wanted to put into words what I think probably a decent amount of Aqueous fans are thinking.

To say that these are probably the nicest, most humble, down to earth guys in the business is an understatement.  They always have time for their fans.  I hope that the band’s new drummer will also have time for us.  We’re pretty cool people.

The Aqueous family is the most welcoming set of fans I’ve seen in the scene. It’s a simple philosophy; the more people that are at the party- the better. You won’t hear us complain as the fan base grows and the band books bigger shows at bigger venues and better time slots at festivals.  We might complain that we missed things like that time when Joel Cummings from Umphrey’s sat in with the boys in Colorado, but we’ll never complain that it happened.

At the heart of this band’s music – at least for me – is passion and fun.  Those two things are the most important qualities of everything I do in my life.  So it’s fitting that this band’s music is rooted in that.  They take what they do VERY seriously, but they also have a blast doing it.  I appreciate that they set the bar so high.  I love that I know they are going to nail it, even on an off night. Honestly, I’ve never seen them have an off night.  I’m not even sure what an off night would sound like for them. 

They play to be a part of our party.  That is one of the most selfless acts you can make as a musician. And they do it every show.  They are building a reputation for what they do on stage.  You don’t hear about them getting wasted back stage.  You don’t hear about post show antics.  They want to be known for what they do during an Aqueous show. And the magic created during an Aqueous show appears to be all they wish to be known for. 

There are Aqueous fans all over the country.  And most of us know that this band is the best kept secret in the scene right now.  We also know that our little secret is spreading fast.  And we love it. 
The fans here in Buffalo have a lot of pride about where this band is headed.  In a town that has never won a Super Bowl or a Stanley cup, we always find hope.  And for a lot of us, Aqueous is our hope.  So if you are thinking about auditioning for this band, remember this. 

If you want to play in a band that has a dedicated, loving fan base….

If you want to play in a band that is going places…

If you want to play in a band that is about creating something special for their fans every time they play…

We will welcome you with open arms.

BUT, like a jealous best friend…

If you do anything to hurt our boys, you will not like us. 

Love,

Me 

No comments:

Post a Comment