Sunday, April 27, 2014

Aqueous - Buffalo NY April 26, 2014

I started working in radio just as the medium started to change.  I was the last of the DJ’s to cut their teeth on the overnight shift before computers replaced young kids desperate to play music to insomniacs and drunks at 4in the morning. I started as an intern in 1996 but my passion for radio started years before that.  My father was once a disc jockey for country music stations and he would tell me amazing stories of payola, personalities and unformatted glory. For years, I studiously made my friends mixed tapes and would even rig a microphone into my double cassette recorder to front sell my favorite songs.  So by the time I finally landed a gig at a real radio station, I was eager to move forward with the career. 

I worked during the glory days of Alternative radio (late 90’s to early 2000’s).  I watched some of the best alternative rock radio music spring from the playlists: Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Soundgarden, Sublime…you get the feel.  The format was Seattle Grunge mixed with Midwest rock tinged with Southern California pop/punk/ska and hints of Southern College Rock.  It was a glorious format where in an hour’s time you could hear Nirvana into Smashing Pumpkins into Rage Against the Machine into No Doubt into R.E.M. Record labels were still important to a bands survival and the most popular acts of the day opted for large scale rock performances with huge marketing campaigns.

On the other side, some bands sprung from the list of popular alternative rock radio that left many of us in programming scratching our heads.  We knew that it was less than great, but the labels managed to throw enough promotional value to a less than stellar single to get program directors and promotion directors all over country to play the music. Once the major market stations picked up the singles, the smaller markets were soon to follow based on a whole host of numbers including chart position and active spins. Since most stations have little in the ways of promotional budgets, upping a singles spins a few times a week to get record label funded station giveaways is the concession you make to help increase time spent listening and market shares. It’s a business. It’s not just about the music.
 
I often felt like some labels had a “shite to the wall” theory.  Sign every band in sight, overproduce their albums and see to which poorly constructed music we can get the general American radio listening audience to latch.  In an attempt to stay positive, I won’t wax poetic about the slew of bands that had success during that time that probably shouldn’t have. The majority of them are no longer making music. But what I walked away from my radio experience with was this sense that if once someone else is making money off a band’s music the commercial viability always seems to overshadow musical talent and longevity.

I don’t blame anyone. It’s the way the business works.  Luckily, as the internet and social media become more prominent to independent marketing and livelihood, talented bands and musicians don’t have to give in to the pressure of having to loss control of the creative process by allowing major labels to control their destiny.  More bands are doing it DYI style using Facebook, Twitter and other social networks to keep fans informed and involved. Merchandise sales for independent artist are huge to a bands touring success. And more bands, including Aqueous, are asking their fans to support them by launching fan funded campaigns to record albums.  And the fans gladly oblige in an effort to keep the music they love pure and out of the hands of industry insiders that will more than likely strip the music of its edge to make it more appealing to the masses.

As I sat in those stations and helped to decide what songs would hit the airwaves, I never thought to question the scope of influence the format would have on a generation of musicians.  The younger kids that listened to the station were just as impressed and excited by the music they heard as I had been the decade before them. Where I was living the music, they were studying it.  While I was making a living playing it to them, they were becoming musicians because of it. I felt proud of the music that we played that I knew what important to the genres foundation.  But I left the industry feeling disgusted by the cheesy one hit wonders and fad ridden music of the time that we let slip onto these otherwise pristine playlists because of ratings and business.

So as I watched Aqueous on stage at The Waiting Room Saturday night, I felt like a proud mother hen.  In their music, I could hear the positive influence of my time on the air.  And I watched as the crowd welcomed their hometown boys with divine warmth.  The room was packed and they weren’t just there to see Dopapod. Buffalo is proud of Aqueous. They are OUR band.  And I can’t begin to express how confident I am that these four are destined to become superstars within the jam/music festival scene. 

On the surface, I hear obvious influences like 311, Sublime and Rage Against the Machine.  But if you listen deeper, you realize that these just aren’t four kids of the 90’s that want to play “Rock sSar”.  Their subtle influences run deep beyond their years; moments of Allman Brothers influenced Southern Rock and 80’s stadium rock tinge their sound.  A song like “Origami”, which on this night they sadly did not play, showcases their vast knowledge and musical scope.  As songwriters they are not afraid to play reggae next to metal or mix deep gnarly bass line with sweeping guitars. 

The band opened with “Gordon’s Mule” which I think is a perfect example of how they handle their influences with care.  “Gordon’s Mule” goes from edge to flow to groove to bounce multiple times.  Listening to an Aqueous song is like riding a musical roller coaster blindfolded. You know the ascent and descent are coming, but you just can’t anticipate exactly how the ride will unfold. There is nothing predictable about their song writing in that respect.  I could describe almost every song in the same exact manner.  You just know you’re going to get something unexpected and mind-blowing at every turn.

Also on their set list Saturday was, “Complex” which is a standout example of what I love about Lead Vocalist and Guitarist Mike. When you hear him sing, you know it’s him.  There is such a warm rich tonal quality to his voice and an ease in which he phrases lyrics that he could riff over death metal and it would just melt your heart. Whereas I hear the Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine) influence in the way he plays guitar, I hear more of a Nick Hexum (311) influence in his vocals.  He sings to celebrate.  His spirit and warmth exudes from his vocal character.  That kind of quality is rare in a vocalist because it’s easier to sing from a place of emotional filth than it is to sing from a place of joy

Similar to what I said about Jimkata a few weeks ago, Mike and Dave (Guitar) find a beautiful harmony in the way they handle two guitars in the band.  I don’t feel like I’m watching two guys try to prove who the better musician is.  I feel like that happens a lot in bands with two guitarists.  The music feels like it’s a real life version of Guitar Hero with two dudes trying to get the higher score.  But Aqueous doesn’t feel that way.  Mike and Dave have a remarkable understanding of how to complement each other. They play together to create a cohesive vibe.  And that is the backbone to their sound.  In addition to guitar, Dave adds keys to the Aqueous mix.  It’s placement in their songs is thoughtful and well timed.

If Dave and Mike are the backbone of Aqueous, then Evan and Nick are the heart.  This is what is cool about the way Evan and Nick work together.  Evan plays a heavy handed bass, which is good thing because Nick plays drums with light handed touch.  I can only describe it in this kind of horribly bad poetic way. After a storm, there is this beautiful moment when the sun starts to peak through the clouds.  And it feels like there is a break in the darkness by these welcome rays of light.  And you have to acknowledge the necessity of the clouds and the darkness to fully appreciate the sun’s presence. That is the Nick/Evan dynamic.  Evan brings a deep, raw grit to the Aqueous sound.  Nick could add to it and make it darker, but he doesn’t. His contribution is this airy, upbeat drive of rhythm. 

So when you package all this together, Aqueous is this perfectly constructed musical yin-yang. Complimenting guitars undercut with a deep, gloomy bass drive powered by spirited, enthusiastic drums and a light-hearted vocal style.  As students of music that was flooded with brooding men wearing their hearts on their sleeves, they do the legacy proud.  Aqueous writes music that is passionate, raw, and hard while balancing it with a rhythm and vocal sound that is light, airy and graceful. 

Most of my favorite bands are four piece groups: R.E.M., The Cure, Phish, Twiddle, Jimkata, and Fall Out Boy (don’t judge me). There is symmetry to the way a four piece band creates music that my ear just finds soothing.  When it is done correctly, all four members of the band contribute to a quarter of music’s creation where the final product becomes a perfectly crafted joint effort. I hear that in Aqueous’ music. There’s a balance in their music that is dark and light.   Not all four piece set-ups operate that way.  Take the Smashing Pumpkins for example.  It’s not a secret that Billy Corgan had his hands almost entirely in the bands musical direction with little input from the other three members. So there was no one really involved in balancing out his sound which is from where their overly ruminating and anxiety ridden sound is born. Don’t misunderstand me, I adore the Pumkpins. They are one of my favorite bands. But I also believe that this balance is crucial to a band’s longevity.  When all four members are equally invested in the creative process, you ensure commitment and harmony.  If you can’t work as a unit to create your own music, ultimately you’ll never keep it together in the other aspects of the business.  

Kurt Cobain was the perfect dichotomy of the 90’s musician in the alt rock scene.  His gravelly vocals, musical edge and personal angst mixed with a beautiful vulnerability based on years of struggle and pain.  He and so many other musicians of that time were a product of heartache and challenge.  What these four guys have done is twisted that to create a musical sound that pays tribute to the alternative rock music of the 90’s while celebrating the beauty and merriment that is this “scene”.  They don’t get lost in the sorrow or anger that is their main influence- the music of Generation X- but rather they find the perfect way to make it healthier.  To me, their music reads like this: it’s okay to have inner turmoil, but use that energy to become a positive source of light rather than sulk in its sadness. 

I’ve had the opportunity to speak to Mike and what strikes me the most about him is that he seems to genuinely like interacting with people about his music.  I talked his ear off Saturday night, and he graciously listened. He seems to be sincerely moved that fans connect to their music.  I hope that as the band moves up in the ranks of success, that they all stay that grounded and connected to their roots.  Too many bands forget that their fan base is what keeps them going. All the musical talent in the world means nothing without a network of support from the fan base that is ultimately in charge of your destiny.

The band recently closed a fan funded Kickstarter campaign to record their next album.  The fact that their fans helped them to crush and exceed their goal is a sign that these guys are treasured and adored for what they do. I would describe the band as I would the city of Buffalo; passionate, salt of the earth music performed by four friendly guys that take their professions seriously and love celebrating what they have with others.  That is the Aqueous in a nutshell.

Please see this band if you get the chance.  If you are a fan of the 90’s alternative rock scene, give them a listen.  I am lucky that I live in their hometown.  I will get to see them as they grow and find success in this sensational style of music that they have gifted to this community.  I get to see them again at Summer Camp in May and I can’t wait to watch how people outside of the Western New York area respond to their sound.  I feel blessed that I have been able to witness the musical beauty that was so influenced by a musical time that is so special to me. 

To see these four musicians take so many opposing musical styles of that era and then watch them weave them so successfully into a new and unique sound is selfishly satisfying. Even though I worked in a market over 1000 miles away, I know that in some respects, I still had a small part in ensuring that these four heard the music that is their influence.  And for all the regret I have for playing music that weren’t truly worthy of major label support, Aqueous proves to me it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was.  Amazing musicians will weed out the bad and take away the best from it.  As ridiculous as it sounds, Aqueous gives me redemptive closure in that chapter of my life and makes me realize that my radio career wasn’t as damaging as I thought it was. So to Aqueous, I tip my pin filled hat and say “Thank You.”


The Set List (as fan posted online) 

The Waiting Room, Buffalo NY April 26, 2014,

Gordon's Mule >
Complex
The Median >
Staring Into the Sun >
Kitty Chaser (Explosions),
Strange Times >
Complex II,
Highway Star (Deep Purple Cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment